Wednesday, March 18, 2020

An other surreal experience!!!


I am always always fascinated with the complexity of biological organisms. I will never be able to fathom the marvel of the biological functions like molecular biology, functioning of the brain, evolution etc etc. I am bewildered, overwhelmed, stunned.. soon I will run out of adjectives. I have asked myself and my friends whether they are more bewildered about the magnanimity of the universe or the complexity of biological organisms and it's functioning. For me, biology on any day wins the competition. 

Recently, I wanted to understand the evolutionary principles behind our liking towards art. In pursuit of the answer, I watched a few videos by Dr. V S Ramachandran, a veteran in brain research. I was awed at the end of those lectures knowing the intricate principles behind our liking towards art. I was in a trance for sometime. Soon after finishing watching the videos, I started cycling back from work to home. On my way, there is a crematorium where a dead body was being burnt. The antinatalist, cynic, misanthropic in me always favors death over living. But on that day,  I had a surreal experience when I felt an amazing machinery had come to an halt. It's one of the weirdest feelings I have ever felt in a long time. The best part is, the surrealness of the surreal experience continued to increase even after this. First, I was awed by the complexity of biological functions. Then I was even more awed at the sheer amount of stupidity this complex system is able to create (Like Trump and his voters for example). I was utterly confused as to what I should feel at the end of it. :-(

P S: Much later, I was able to resolve the conflict. Yes, it is true the biology is complex and wonderful. It is also true that it has produced a lot of stupid people. But the crux of biology is, it is optimized for survival and not wiseness (In fact being wise and smart is not only not good for survival but can act as a deterrent. But let us not go into that here) The fact that Trump is a rich 73 year old guy speaks for the success of biology. So let us all embrace the complex, magnificent, awe inspiring yet stupid world!!



No comments:

Post a Comment