Sunday, April 10, 2016

Why is honesty often equated with confession?



“I am being honest now and telling that I was avoiding you”, “I will come clean and be completely honest”…. We hear people use sentences like these often. I feel “being honest” is more often used in the context when one has to confess some wrong doing or when describing a negative trait one possess. But why? Why not sentences like “I honestly tell my understanding of this subject is very good?” “Honestly, I think I m quite deep when it comes to some xyz”. As a teacher, I have made it a policy to be honest with students and admit when I don't know answers to certain questions. In fact I take pride in doing that. But can I be equally honest and say “I think I am a very good chemistry teacher”? I seldom do that and often leave it to students to imply what they want.

I think the reason for such an imbalance is the expectation of false humility from people. The moment I say positive things about me, I am at the risk of getting branded as narcissistic, arrogant, egoistic etc. I also can't be honest when it comes to other people's negatives (Refer my previous post: “Honesty is the best policy”.. Really?) . People expect you to say positive things about them and negative things about yourself but not the other way around. In my opinion, such a skewed honesty, is not honesty at all!

Am I arrogant, egoistic and a narcissist for writing this post?? ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment