Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Double Standards


Let A and B are in a married/romantic/living together relationship. A falls sick just before B is about to make a trip. The following matrix shows all possibilities.


A -->
Mildly sick
Average sick
Needs immediate attention
B |
   V
Travel of low importance
Whether B cancels or not is immaterial
B canceling is better
B should cancel
Travel of medium importance
B going is better
“Double Standards”
B canceling is better
Travel of high importance
B should go
B should go by making alternate arrangements
If B can make sufficient alternate arrangements, then going is an option else canceling is inevitable.

This post is concerned with the box “Double Standards” from the above matrix. What I have usually noticed (Me included) is that, if I am in A's position, I would want B to go (by assuring I will be taking care of myself) and if I am in B's position, I want to stay back ( by saying the travel is of not so high importance ) and that is the “Double standards” I am talking about. Why do we have it after all? This is where guilt comes into the picture



Position
Action
Consequence
If I am A
Letting B stay
I get care but also I have to carry guilt
Letting B go
I don't get care but no guilt either



Position
Action
Consequence
If I am B
By going
Work gets done but guilt comes along
By canceling
Work is pending but no guilt

If guilt is so bad that I try to avoid by having double standards, why deny that to the other person? It's the selfishness to have high behavioral stand point. Having a single standard takes away my opportunity to take that high stand point. What would the results be if I had a single standard?


Ideology
Position
Action
If I felt work is more important
If I am A
Would let B go
If I am B
Would go



Ideology
Position
Action
If I felt medical care is more important than work
If I am A
Would ask B to cancel
If I am B
Would cancel


Once I did try to practice single standard and faced the most unexpected, hypocritical response. I was in B's position and A asked me to go and I did plan to go only to hear that I have the audacity to leave the sick person and travel on work. So my work remained pending and also was guilt trapped for even trying to travel on work.

How many standards did A have? 
Not wanting me to go but asking me go and then getting pissed when I was ready to go. Triple standards I suppose ;-)

1 comment: