Sunday, February 2, 2020

ನೀ ಮನಸಿನೊಳಗೋ, ಮನಸು ನಿನ್ನೊಳಗೋ ?


Freedom has been one of the needs which people have always wanted but has often been elusive. Freedom from oppression, freedom from bondage, freedom from inner desires, and even freedom from life itself are some of the battles which people have fought for centuries. People have sought, begged, and fought for freedom. Wars have been waged, revolutions have been mobilized, Black rights, Gay rights, Independence movements, so on and so forth. I feel humans have a need for freedom as much as their need for survival. A life without freedom is mere existence. A life without the ability to exercise will, leaves one with an immense sense of helplessness. One feels trapped. Yes, that's how I feel. I feel trapped.

"My body is a cage that keeps me from dancing with the one I love. But mind holds the key". These lines by Peter Gabriel expresses the state of being trapped in one's own body. But what if the mind itself is locked in a cage? Who has the key? SSRIs? I think SSRIs tries to free the mind from the cage by brutally breaking the iron bars of the cage. Does it have the elegance of the key. I guess not. Nobody has the key. I have been trying to manufacture my own key for a really long time now. I might have got parole for brief periods of time but mostly I am jailed. When I have spent more than half of my life trapped, is there a meaning to seek freedom especially knowing the futility of the exercise? I think too much time has elapsed. The bars of the cage which have kept me trapped have started to integrate with my identity. I am losing the difference between me and the cage. So whether I am in the cage now or the cage is within me? If the difference between me and the cage is blurred, that's my path to emancipation. When the difference cease to exist, that's my liberation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment